Thursday, May 28, 2015

A.D.H.D: It's not fine.

We had a follow up apt with the psychiatrist today for Turbo. Last October he was diagnosed as having A.D.H.D. and anxiety. Today I requested a prescription for medication be prescribed for the A.D.H.D.  and the Dr. was glad to oblige.  Bomb shell. The moment she got out her prescription pad I started to realize what I have done.

I should have been glad? Happy the doctor was willing to co-operate? Really I just came away very uncertain, scared, angry.  Resentful. I resent that "normal" looks nothing like my kid. His inability to focus on reading, my kids ability to hyper focus on stuff he loves, stuff that make sense to him. Stuff like the computers, animation, creating videos, humour etc. Its not "normal". Nothing like who this amazing, crazy, argumentative, stubborn, black and white kid is. I am being pressured to change him through medication neither he nor I truly want.

I'm starting to get the hippies, the unschoolers, the way-outside-the-box-educating-parents. He thinks deeply, has an amazing memory, an intense sense of justice, cares deeply about those around him, the computer guy he buys stuff from is shocked by Turbo's self-taught knowledge. He is amazing and I am being pressured to force a change on him so he is more manageable for others and better fits the educational norms.

In the theme of Stop Saying You're Fine, It's not fine that my kid isn't accepted for who he is, how he learns, what he loves. It's not fine that he may be put on a medication that can affect his growth, eating patterns, and heart. It's not fine.





No comments:

Post a Comment